The Horinko Group conducts technical and informational briefings with senior and career staff at all branches and levels of government to properly align and resolve our client’s issues and goals. In particular, our team works closely with the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. EPA HQ and Regions, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers HQ and Districts, U.S. Department of Agriculture, and Capitol Hill.
The Horinko Group has vast experience advising clients on RCRA, Superfund, and Brownfields issues. We also assist in navigating the federal and state bureaucracies with a host of environmental issues related to rulemakings and permitting.
- Provide ongoing guidance and tracking to the private sector on rulemakings pertaining to the Definition of Solid Waste, Toxic Reporting Index, and Financial Assurance.
- Provide clarity and collaborative solutions between U.S. EPA HQ, Regional Offices, and Potentially Responsible Parties on the nation’s largest environmental cleanups, including the Lower Passaic River, Lower Fox River, Kalamazoo River, and Delaware Estuary.
- Service a range of law firms, financial investment groups, and large-scale, environmental consulting shops seeking timely insight and information on the latest trends and developments impacting the regulated community.
- Provide insight into U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency culture, capabilities, expectations, and regulatory structure and process.
- Testify in front of state legislature to inform the debate on the productive reuse of contaminated sites and achieve reform.
- Advise on public comment development as it relates to new rulemakings and code developments, in addition to preparing written and in-person comments.
- Conduct direct, ongoing communications between industry and government to spur progress in moving forward environmental cleanups.
- Provide guidance on the emerging environmental legal developments pertaining to the management of hazardous wastes.
- Conduct on-site facility visits and provide written analysis detailing compliance standards and process improvements.
- Serve as a liaison between industry and government on permitting issues related to the launch of new facilities.
- Assist EPA in identifying successful regulatory approaches to mothballed sites that expedite cleanup and revitalization by coordinating and integrating state and federal processes.
- Consult state waste officials and EPA Regional personnel to explore alternatives for adopting coordinated cleanup approval approaches to mothballed brownfields.
- Advise in identifying candidate state programs to pilot the development of coordinated cleanup approaches.
- Design and organize forums to call attention to the challenges of site revitalization of mothballed properties.
- Justin Oberst
Managing Partner, The Horinko Group
Director, Regulatory & Legislative Support Group
- G. Tracy Mehan
Senior Advisor, Water Resources Regulation & Policy
- Emily Hammond
Professor of Law, The George Washington University Law School
Senior Advisor, Energy/Electricity, Water Quality/Use, & Regulatory Decisionmaking
- Paul Yaroschak, P.E.
President of Sustainable Methods, LLC
Senior Advisor, Sustainability, Contaminated Site Cleanup, & Chemical Risk Management
- Beth Pitrolo
Senior Advisor, Permitting & Compliance
- Amy Schaffer
Senior Advisor, Hazardous and Industrial Waste Risk Management
- Geoff Grubbs
Senior Advisor, Water Quality, Risk Assessment, & Regulation
- Jeff Denit
Senior Advisor, RCRA and Remediation
- Making Sustainability Relevant in Financial Terms / March 2017 / Column by Paul J. Yaroschak, President, Sustainable Methods, LLC, and Senior Advisor of The Horinko Group
- The Future of RCRA – Making the Business Case / December 2016 / White Paper
- Linking Economic Opportunity to Environmental Protection / December 2016 / Column by Marianne Horinko
- The Future of RCRA – Making the Business Case / October 26, 2016 / Summit
- Nuclear Power and the Clean Energy Future / September 2016 / Policy Report
- Congressional Hearing Examines CERCLA Implementation / July 13, 2016 / Witness Testimony Provided by Marianne Horinko
- Ask the Experts – RCRA 2040 / July 11, 2016 / Column by The Horinko Group
- United States–Canada Regulatory Cooperation Council Roundtables, Supply Chain Communication and U.S. EPA’s SNUR and EC/HC’s SNAc Programs / September 2015 / Executive Roundtables
- A&WMA/EPA Colloquium—Waste Information Exchange / May 14, 2015 / Summit
- Sustainable Chemicals & Materials Roundtable, Sleuthing the Supply Chain: Capturing Chemical & Material Content / October 22, 2014 / Executive Roundtable
- Green & Sustainable Remediation Roundtable / June 3, 2014 / Executive Roundtable
- TCE – Rising Risks and Business Challenges / April 30, 2014 / Webinar
- The Rise and Future of Green and Sustainable Remediation / February 2014 / White Paper
- U.S. Unconventional Oil and Gas Development: Life Cycle Examination from a Local Community Perspective / February 2014 / Report
- Sustainable Chemicals & Materials Roundtable, An Information Exchange: Moving From High Risk to Low Risk Chemicals / December 2013 / Executive Roundtable
- Transforming America’s Contaminated Lands – A Vision for Our Nation’s Waste Program / November 7, 2013 / Summit
- The Next Generation of Environmental Compliance and Enforcement / October 17, 2012 / Summit
- Hydraulic Fracturing Guidebook / Fall 2012 / White Paper